At Other Machine Company, we make the Othermill Pro, a small, but powerful CNC milling machine for making circuit boards and machining parts. Getting started using a CNC machine is a complicated endeavor. You need to understand your machine, CAD, CAM, cutting tool types, and material properties – not to mention having an endless stream of ideas for what to make! Whether instructional videos, tutorials, guides, projects, and kits, we are looking to hire someone who can amplify our user’s projects by writing about them and also develop projects to inspire and activate our community of electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, and makers. The Curriculum Developer builds entertaining and educational materials that make it easy for the OMC community to go from zero to mastery.
The Curriculum Developer will work with the marketing team to determine documentation and project priorities, iterate through project designs and manufacturing techniques, polish projects for publishing and kit creation, and draft documentation.
- Document the proper operation of OMC products through written text, videos, photos, and other media for project descriptions, instructions, blog posts, and bills of material.
- Create projects that demonstrate the capabilities of our machines with a variety of materials, tools, and techniques.
- Document project creation in web form, so that they are replicable by other teammates and community members.
- Assist the Store Manager in envisioning and creating kits based on projects.
- Shine a spotlight on public projects that deserve support and amplification.
- Basic electronics skills, including knowledge of components, basic circuit design, basic PCB design
- Basic industrial design/machining skills, including CAD/CAM and introductory CNC machine operation
- Video production skills
- Strong technical writing skills
- Basic IT skills
- Ability to work with colleagues across a variety of teams and with a variety of backgrounds
- Strong communications and organizational skills; attention to detail
Please include a cover letter that includes photos/links of projects you’ve developed or contributed to and a list of dream fabrication projects that you’d love to tackle. Please specify the PCB design software and 3D modeling software you’re familiar with. Include links or samples of writing that you’ve done. Also please include any experience you’ve had with CNC milling machines.
This is a full-time position in Berkeley, CA. Compensation is commensurate with experience, plus medical benefits and paid vacation.
We do what we do because we believe that the future of hardware is small-batch, ultra-customized, and on-demand. When we think about the future we see manufacturing and prototyping in a fully-distributed model, with large and small companies fabricating custom products locally and on demand. Our products put high-precision manufacturing capabilities in the hands of many people, often for the first time. We enable these people, saving them time and money, and we open doors for them in terms of employment mobility and pathways to modern technical relevance through hands-on education. The Othermill Pro is the company’s flagship product and is used at creative venues such as the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, CITRIS Invention Lab, all branches of the US military, NYU ITP, Blackmagic Design, Adafruit, and the Supplyframe DesignLab among other places.
Other Machine Co. is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, or veteran status.Apply